Wild Mushroom Risotto, from Liquid Gold
6 to 7 cups vegetable stock as needed
Salt and Pepper
2 Tbsp. LG Mushroom and Sage Infused Olive Oil
½ cup finely chopped onion or 2 shallots minced
¾ to 1 pound wild mushrooms cleaned if necessary and torn or sliced into smaller pieces if thick
2 garlic cloves minced
optional (2 chopped sage)
1 ½ cups Riso Margherita Arborio Rice or short grain brown rice
½ cup dry white wine (like a pinot grigio or sauvignon blanc)
1 cup frozen peas thawed
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley or parmesan cheese LG Black Truffle Infused Olive Oil or LG Truffle Sea Salt to finish
- Bring stock to a simmer in a saucepan with a ladle nearby. Make sure stock is well seasoned and keep it simmering on the stove.
- Heat oil in a wide heavy nonstick skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Add onions or shallots and cook gently until just tender 3 to 5 minutes.
- Turn up heat and add mushrooms. Cook, stirring, until they begin to sweat, about 3 minutes, then add garlic and sage. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Season mushrooms with salt and pepper and continue to cook over medium heat until they are soft. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Add rice and stir until grains begin to crackle. Add wine and cook, stirring, until wine is no longer visible in pan. Stir in enough simmering stock to just cover the rice. The stock should bubble slowly. Cook, stirring often and vigorously, until stock is just about absorbed.
- Add another ladleful or two of stock and continue cooking, not too fast and not too slowly, stirring often and adding more stock when rice is almost dry, for 15 minutes.
- Add peas, and continue adding stock and stirring for another 10 minutes. Rice should be tender all the way through but still al dente. Taste now and adjust seasoning.
Add another ladleful or two of stock to rice. Stir in parsley and nutritional yeast, and remove from heat. Season with black pepper and serve right away.
Recipe by: Chef Lauren Marshall
From the Mushroom Mania Cooking Class